A little girl was left “screaming in agony” as she broke out in huge blisters after playing in the boiling conditions for five minutes, despite being covered in suncream.
The seven-year-old was out playing with her brother for just a few minutes when her mother, Jasmine Wiliams, heard her call out in pain.
Initially thinking her children were fighting she went to check and was horrified to see angry red blisters already forming on her daughter’s skin, NorthWalesLive reported.
Jasmine, 27, said: “At first I thought she was fighting with her brother but I quickly noticed the difference in her cry and she started shouting ‘my back is on fire ‘.
“She ran in and I could see the blisters forming before my eyes. I didn’t know what to do – I couldn’t touch her to comfort her, I couldn’t hold her because it was too painful for her.
“I thought she was going to collapse in pain, she was absolutely hysterical. Her skin looked as though she’d had boiling water from a kettle poured on her.
“She was adamant she didn’t want to go to the hospital after a bad experience when she was younger so I took her to the chemist and they said it doesn’t look anything like an allergic reaction.
“I just want other parents to be aware. I feel so guilty that this has happened but at least if I put it out there then people will know.”
“I feel riddled with guilt. I always check the labels on everything, it’s a habit because some of my family members have allergies.”
The mum says her daughter has no allergies and has never had an issue with any suncream in the past.
The incident comes as Britain swelters under a heatwave with warnings of even hotter temperatures due next week, with a warning in place from Sunday to the following Tuesday.
A Nivea Sun spokesperson said: “Consumer trust in the safety of our products is our highest priority and we are dedicated to developing products that reliably and effectively protect against sun damage”.
“We are currently in contact with Jasmine Williams, who contacted our consumer relations team via email yesterday (Monday, July 11) and has since had a telephone consultation this afternoon to understand more about what happened in this instance.
“We rigorously test each of our NIVEA SUN formulations and their labelled SPFs according to internationally standardised test methods at independent test institutes, so we can always ensure consistent, high-quality efficacy and consumer safety of all NIVEA SUN products.”